Edina Historical Society, serving the city since 1969.
Contrary to popular belief, Edina's history began long before Southdale, the nation's first fully enclosed, climate-controlled shopping mall, opened in 1956. While the mall may have put Edina "on the map," it was settled nearly a century before when a community rose up around a little red mill on Minnehaha Creek. The Edina Historical Society formed in 1969 to collect, preserve and tell the story of our community as it grew from a mill town to a mall suburb. This web site is part of our education effort.
We operate the Edina History Museum at Arneson Acres Park and living history programs at two of Edina's oldest buildings, Cahill School and Minnehaha Grange Hall No. 398, located at Tupa Park. The Edina Historical Society is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that relies on the support of its members and the public.
...to collect, preserve and tell Edina's story
Forty years ago, residents saw Edina's pioneer past disappear before their eyes. Residential subdivisions replaced farms. Cahill School, which served Edina farm kids since 1864, closed its doors in 1958 and was sitting in disrepair. The kids who went to school by horse and buggy were now senior citizens.