Cahill School & Grange
at Tupa Park
4816 Eden Avenue
By reservation only
Directions and map
History-themed programming at Cahill School and Minnehaha Grange No. 398 are offered by the Edina Historical Society. Both buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and owned by the City of Edina.
Cahill and Grange date from Edina's earliest days
Cahill School served southwest Edina from 1864 to 1958
Built in 1864, Cahill School is the oldest surviving building in Edina and served School District No. 16 in southwest Edina. The original site of Cahill School was on the southeast corner of Cahill Road and West 70th Street. The one-room schoolhouse served as a community center for the Cahill District. In addition to daily classes the school was used for church services, village elections, dances, theatricals, and other events.
Minnehaha Grange was heart of early Edina Mill community
The Order of the Patrons of Husbandry, more commonly known as the Grange, was a national organization for the “social fraternity of the farmers” dedicated to the principles of “progressive agriculture.” The group was founded by Oliver Hudson Kelley, a farmer from Sherburne County, Minn., in the late 1860s, and many Grange chapters sprouted up like cornstalks throughout the country. Edina’s Minnehaha Grange No. 398 was organized on Dec. 12, 1873 – even before Edina incorporated as a village.
In 1879, the Grange built a meeting hall on the southeast corner of Wooddale Avenue and West 50th Street. In addition to its fraternal uses, this building served as Edina Village Hall from its incorporation in 1888 to 1942. Many historic events took place here, including the decision to name Edina and the secession of the neighborhood of Morningside.
In 1935, the Grange Hall was moved for the construction of St. Stephen the Martyr Episcopal Church. Relocated to the vicinity of Normandale Road and Eden Avenue, the building was moved again in 1970 to its present site in Tupa Park.