Additional info coming soon on such topics as:
Edina: from mill town to mall suburb
Edina may not have been Edina without the little red flour mill on Minnehaha Creek.
Four investors built the mill in 1857, and a rural village soon grew up around it. The mill changed hands and names several times, but it became known as Edina Mills after new owner Andrew Craik purchased the business and named it after his native town of Edinborough.
The Edina Mill community grew to eventually include a general store, post office, church and school. Minnehaha Grange Hall No. 398 was built in 1879 at the southeast corner of Wooddale Avenue and 50th Street, current site of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church.
The area was then part of Richfield Township, but the community near Edina Mills developed a separate identity. In 1888, area farmers voted to secede from Richfield and incorporate as the Village of Edina.